Which form of teaching is best for you?
In the following article, I would like to suggest the various learning options, with their advantages and disadvantages, for preparing for the Sachkundeprüfung § 34a GewO — a guest article by The Safety Guru.
Classes are held in an academy, usually on a full-day basis.
In a structured classroom environment, a learning situation is created for the students in which a lecturer takes on the role of a knowledge broker. The teacher can use different learning methods to facilitate the students’ learning. These may include lectures, discussions, group work, demonstrations or experiments. In class, students can also ask questions directly and receive feedback from the lecturer or classmates, which improves understanding of the learning material. Classes can also provide opportunities to foster social skills and collaboration as students work and learn together.
Online teaching is similar to traditional teaching, but it takes place over the internet. The lecturer uses various digital tools to facilitate the students’ learning. Examples of digital tools can be: video and audio chat, online courses, learning platforms, virtual classrooms or e‑learning modules. Online teaching can be particularly advantageous in today’s world, as it offers the possibility to continue teaching even in times of pandemics or other circumstances that affect normal teaching. Another advantage of online teaching is that students can learn from anywhere as long as they have an internet connection. And also like face-to-face classes, students can ask questions and get feedback from the instructor or classmates, which can improve their understanding of the learning material.
Self-learning with book and YouTube videos
Self-learner with book and YouTube videos are people who learn independently by obtaining information from books or videos on the internet. This form of learning is less structured and requires more discipline and initiative from the learners. Unlike classroom or online learning, self-learners have the freedom to set their own pace and choose the content of the learning material. However, there is also a risk that self-learners may have difficulty achieving their learning goals due to a lack of structure and guidance. Learners need to motivate and discipline themselves to learn continuously. It is also more difficult to ask questions and receive feedback because there is no direct contact with a teacher or other learners.
Advantages and disadvantages
Overall, all three forms of learning — face-to-face teaching, online teaching and self-learning with books and YouTube videos — have advantages and disadvantages:
- Structured learning environment
- Interaction with the lecturer and classmates
- Opportunity to ask questions and receive feedback
- Promoting social skills and cooperation
- Possible dependence on the lecturer
- Restrictions on flexibility, as lessons take place at fixed times
- Not all students may be able to follow the teaching method
- Flexibility, as teaching can take place from anywhere as long as an internet connection is available
- Possibility to continue teaching even if there are restrictions that affect traditional teaching
- Access to a variety of digital tools to enhance the learning process
- Possibility to record lessons and watch them again later on
- Possible limitations in interaction with the lecturer and classmates
- Technical problems can affect the learning process
- Possibly the learning environment is less structured than in traditional teaching
- Not all students may be technically equipped or have a sufficient internet connection to participate in online classes.
Self-learning with books and YouTube videos
- Freedom to set your own learning goal and pace
- Access to a wide range of learning materials
- Flexibility to shape learning according to one’s own needs and preferences
- No dependence on a teacher or other learners
- Possible restrictions on motivation and discipline
- Possible lack of structure and guidance
- Possible difficulties in clarifying questions and feedback
- Possibly more difficult to promote social skills and cooperation
Overall, it is important to note that none of the learning styles are perfect and it depends on which learning style best suits the learner’s individual needs and preferences.
Furthermore, the different learning styles can of course be combined with each other. Especially the possibility to use YouTube videos as a supplement for any kind of learning is very good. And here my recommendation lies on the YouTube videos of the SecurityGuru34a. These videos are clearly structured, informative, easy to understand and therefore very helpful. With the help of these videos, one can learn at one’s own pace and deepen content that was not so well conveyed in class.
There is complete lessons and Sample exams with explanations of the questions and answers.
I hope that with this article I have been able to give you an understanding of the different learning methods and that you will find the right method for you.