Answers to frequently asked questions
We receive the same questions again and again. If you would like to know something about the expert knowledge examination according to § 34a Gewo (guarding), you are welcome to visit our site and look through the questions and answers here. Further Tip: Use the Search function!
- Do I have to attend a preparatory course before taking the examination?
- What requirements do I have to fulfil for the exam?
In principle, none. However, you should have a good command of the German language and be well prepared.
- Is the content of the written and oral part the same?
The examination material is basically the same. However, particularly important topics are to be tested more intensively orally.
- I failed the exam. How many times can I repeat?
As often as you like.
- Can I also take the exam online, not at the IHK?
No. Only the Chamber of Industry and Commerce may conduct the examination.
- When do the competence examinations take place?
Usually every 3rd Thursday of the month. However, there are exceptions.
- Is it possible to register for the examination by telephone or by e‑mail at the IHK?
No, but many chambers now offer online registration on their website. (Registration by fax is also possible)
- By when do I have to have registered?
As a rule, up to 3 weeks before the date of the (written) examination.
- Do written and oral examinations have to take place at the same IHK?
Normally yes. However, if an examiner is biased, you can insist on another examiner for a re-examination.
- I have lost my certificate. Do I have to take the exam again?
No. You can request a replacement certificate or duplicate certificate for a fee from the IHK where you took the examination.